Teaching English in Thailand: Day 1

Day 1: Wednesday 24th June 2015

Hardest task ever: reduce this by half!

Today is the day! After a restless night’s sleep, it is finally time for me to zip up my rucksack(s) and head off to Thailand. For those of you who don’t know, I am going to work as an English Teaching Assistant (ETA) in a secondary school for 9 weeks with the British Council. A bacon sandwich and a good old English cuppa were handed to me by my uneasy mother little before we made the two hour journey to London Heathrow.

The brilliant thing about TET and working with the British Council is how many of us ETAs were able to meet and contact each other before we left for Thailand. The few meetings and Facebook groups that we had allowed us to acquaint ourselves with other people in the same position. Alongside the Facebook page that British Council TET leader set up for everybody on the programme, we also set up another few Facebook groups for those people wanting to chat about weekend trips and after TET plans. This was a great way to chat with like-minded people, who didn’t only want to teach; they also wanted to travel and experience many great things in Asia.  I personally got talking to many people from these Facebook groups and had already began forming friendships with them before we excitedly met at Heathrow baggage drop.

About 8 of us managed to find each other in the airport, which was a great way to calm each other’s nerves and feelings of being alone in the airport. After a Wetherspoons lunch and some free Pimms tasters we were well on our way to a great summer ahead!


Seeing as none of us knew each other extremely well and we hadn’t planned for such little things, we all sat away from one another on the plane. In one respect it was a shame because we were in the process of creating some nice friendships, and on the other hand it was good because I could drink a fair few bottles of free vino without being judged by my new friends, hahaha. Joking. Of course.

So that’s it for now. I am sat next to a lovely Thai man who hasn’t uttered a word to me, which is a bit of a shame!  Although he’ll be my bezzie by the time we land in Bangkok!! I fell asleep within the first hour of the journey at about 5pm so I think it’s going to be a long night. And I have no sleeping aids…. apart from wine.

Aaaaand there they are now with a fresh new tray of the glistening red stuff!

See you in BKK!

P.s, Im having a brilliant time watching the lad opposite me nodding his head every few seconds with his mouth wide-open in a deep sleep.

I love this trip already!

Olivia


Post a Comment